Mark and I met with the doctor today. My heightened blood counts last week had warranted a CAT scan on Friday and meeting with him today. It was a long meeting after our usual long wait at the end of a long day, so please forgive the spare details.
In essence, the activity the blood counts had alerted us to was evident on the CAT scan. My liver looks stable. The growth is happening on the nodules in the lungs. Dr. Campbell has several ideas of what to do once we get the lungs back under control, but for now, the plan of action is this:
I will begin weekly IV chemo next week Tuesday. I haven’t had IV since July and it has been a welcome and wonderful break. This drug is called Navelbine and should be similar to my former chemo in terms of my ability to tolerate it (i.e. no nausea or hair loss).
We are also seeing if I might qualify for a study, the details of which I won’t go into here, but it is related to “personalized medicine” that you may have read about–gene mapping the tumor to see what it might best respond to. If I qualify for the study, I’ll get more detailed.
I’m hoping that my cold is gone before chemo starts next week. My throat is very painful and each cough puts Mark, understandably, on edge. It would be nice to start out feeling as good as I’ve been the last new months. We’ll keep you posted.